How many times have you heard it reported that Australia is in the grip of an obesity epidemic?
Well, to help to address this, this week (13 – 19 February) the Dietitians Association of Australia (DAA) is organising online initiatives and a series of activities around Australia in support of Australia’s Healthy Weight Week (AHWW). AHWW is an initiative of the DAA aimed at raising awareness of the importance of achieving and maintaining a healthy weight and lifestyle.
The ACMF is proud to be a sponsor of Australia’s Healthy Weight Week 2017, now in it’s tenth year.
In a previous blog (Can chicken help long term weight loss?) I explained some of the attributes of lean chicken meat that contribute to maintaining a healthy ‘waistline’, which include:
- One portion of cooked chicken breast meat (100g) provides 70% of the recommended daily protein intake for adults. Percentage daily intakes are based on the average adult diet of 8700kJ.
- Cooked chicken breast is lower in saturated fat than beef or lamb.
- Cooked chicken provides essential vitamins and minerals, particularly niacin, vitamins B6 and B12 and minerals potassium, selenium, magnesium and zinc
- Raw chicken breast is a cheaper protein source compared to other raw meats for stir-frying.
- Lean chicken is extremely versatile and easy to cook with…there are plenty of ways to prepare and enjoy it
- Chicken is a food which is popular with the whole family, so it’s easy to include it in meals that the whole family will enjoy
*Chicken: Substantiation of Nutrition and Health Claims, Lisa Yates Adv APD and Nicole Senior APD, November 2019
Add to this the fact that lean chicken remains one of the most affordable lean meats on the Australian market, and you have several very good reasons why lean chicken meat can help you out with your ‘bottom line’!
I’d encourage everyone to get involved in a Healthy Weight Week event – go to http://healthyweightweek.com.au/events/ to find one in your area. Personally, I’m going along to the cook-off with the Week’s Ambassadors Callum Hann and Themis Chryssidis (http://healthyweightweek.com.au/celebrity-cooking-events/) being held in Pitt Street Mall, Sydney on Monday 13 February to kick start the Week. I understand that chicken will be on their menu!
Download the great ‘Everyday Healthy’ recipe book full of healthy meal options to prepare at home – it’s free – and check out these great chicken dishes: Cajun chicken burger with yogurt sauce and purple slaw, Allspice chicken with chimichurri and brown rice, or Poached chicken salad with Chinese cabbage, coriander and sesame – YUM!